Almonds are the protagonists of traditional Sicilian desserts. Since the Romans’ times, Sicilians and Italians celebrate every important events with sugar coated almonds: these are called ‘confetti‘.
Photo credits: “Tito Luis’ almonds” by Tom Raftery is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 2.0.
To recreate that traditional flavour while adding a touch of style to your Christmas dessert menu, this almond biscuits Christmas tree is exactly what you need.
300g plain flour
120g ground almonds
120g caster sugar
180g unsalted butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
for the icing:
120g icing sugar
1 egg white
Andiamo in cucina! Let’s go to the kitchen!
1. Mix all of the ingredients together (don’t add the ones for the icing). The butter needs to be at room temperature. It will be crumbly at first, but eventually you’ll manage to form a nice dough.
2. Wrap the dough inside cling film and leave it in the fridge for 1 hour.
3. Using star shaped cutters, cut different size stars. Make sure that you make more than one of the bigger biscuits as these are the ones that are more likely to break.
These cutters are perfect for this type of job. Click the picture to get info and prices.
4. Put the biscuits in pre-heated oven at 180 degrees C. Leave them for 12-15 min. Make sure they are cooled down before moving them from the tray.
5. While the biscuits are in the oven, make the icing. Work the egg white with an electric whisk till it’s foamy and then add the icing sugar a bit at a time. You need a syringe or a sac-a-poche for the next step.
6. Decorate the stars with the icing. Pile the stars one on top of the other, from the biggest to the the smallest.
7. Add some Christmas decorations.
Your Almond biscuits Christmas tree is ready.
Buon Natale! Merry Christmas!
If you enjoy this content and you would like more, please donate the amount you find worth it. S’abbinirica!! (old Sicilian respectful greeting meaning Bless me. The answer would be Diu ti binirici, God bless you.)
Make a monthly donation
Make a yearly donation
Choose an amount
Or enter a custom amount
Your contribution is appreciated.
Your contribution is appreciated.Diu ti binirici! Donate. Diu ti binirici! Donate. Diu ti binirici! Donate.